Position: Executive Assistant
ROLE: Executive Assistant
FUNCTION: Executive Support
LOCATION: Twin Cities, MN — East Metro area
This team-oriented professional has the administrative skills and background to help carry forward the organization’s mission. The Executive Assistant will provide critical assistance and support to the Executive Director and others as assigned, both internally and externally. Internally- scheduling, communications, reports, event management, and operational matters. Externally- Board of Directors, artists, and the public. This professional will work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and will work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
St. Croix Valley Opera (SCVO) produces high-quality musical art performances for the communities surrounding our location in Stillwater, Minnesota, and the greater Twin Cities area. Our vision is to establish the Stillwater area as a regional music cultural center with a vibrant community of emerging and professional performing artists. Residents are invested in continuing to build a sense of small-town community, especially fostering young residents’ talents and interests. We support these efforts, by providing community arts experiences and opportunities for local arts employment. Emerging artists benefit from educational, performance, and employment opportunities alongside established professionals.
- Support the Executive Director by handling daily tasks including, but not limited to:
- Direct telephone calls through Google Voice
- Schedule internal and external meetings
- Handle internal communications among SCVO team; select external communication to SCVO Board of Directors, donors, artists, vendors, and supporters.e-mail, monthly newsletter, social media, and press releases
- Prepare meeting minutes and agenda of staff, board, and senior staff meetings
- Draft internal and external correspondence including letters, emails, monthly newsletter, and memos
- Update website content with direction from the SCVO team, and schedule social media
- Assist the Executive Director with issues of time management by handling all appointments and calendars, responding to phone and email messages, and managing calendars that do not require the Executive Director’s direct involvement
- Assist in preparation of materials and logistics for presentations, meetings, and events
- Provide support to the Board of Directors and maintain Board communications
- Maintain the Board calendar
- Take notes and provide minutes of all Board and Committee meetings
- Provide information to and maintain relationships with Board members
- Inform Board members of meeting information and organizational activities
- Work with Executive Director and Development Director to support fundraising and donor activities including, scheduling donor meetings, speaking engagements, and other projects as needed
- Proactively seek to assist the Executive Director with projects and offer advice to improve the content of all executive projects and communication
- Other duties: This job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Reports directly to: Executive Director
- Works directly and cooperatively with: General Manager, Board and Committee Members, and SCVO Team
The ideal candidate for this position should be a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast-paced environment. In addition to the following:
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and SharePoint; knowledge of Excel, and all Google products
- Ability to learn and adapt to evolving technology and tools
- Available to work occasional nights and weekends as required to support special events
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality and inspire trust
- Operate with the utmost degree of integrity and commitment to quality
- Work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to successfully manage products and time
- Display sound judgment in a variety of situations
- Exhibit magical organizational skills
- Show commitment to the mission and desired outcomes of the organization by contributing to a teamwork environment
- Exhibit the principles of continuous learning, servant leadership, and a dedication to excellence
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possess excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities
- Capacity to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external personalities
- Represent the Executive Director, and SCVO, in a professional manner
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 20 pounds.
This job currently operates primarily remotely, due to health and safety guidelines around the COVID-19 pandemic. This position requires a fully operating computer or laptop, smartphone, high-speed internet, and access to Zoom for video meetings and events. As the pandemic and global situation allow, this position will eventually be a combination of in-person work at our Stillwater location as well as continued remote work.
Travel is primarily local during the course of the season, in the greater Twin Cities area, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected in the future.
This position will begin at up to 12 hours per week at a rate of $17.36 per hour. As SCVO continues to grow, it is realistic that this position will increase in hours and compensation accordingly. We are looking for a dedicated and dynamic individual to learn and grow with SCVO, and share their talents and experience in the role of Executive Assistant.
Interested, qualified applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, and references (two professional and one personal) to Operations Manager, Emily D. H. Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org. All resumes submitted will be reviewed. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
St. Croix Valley Opera is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing, and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by law. We are dedicated to providing a working environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where all employees are treated with respect and dignity.